Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Adventures in The Netherlands with Adina Noel::: "The Picture-less Day (For those hardcore enough to read this and not just look at the pictures"

For bigger pictures and better layout please read the blog here: www.adinanoel.blogspot.com


Monday was my first day alone. Lise and Evan were at school and work, so I had the house all to myself. I have to admit that I enjoyed having some time to myself after a crazy busy week of work, preparing for my trip, and exploring The Netherlands. I pretty much slept in, blogged, and played guitar. That's pretty close to a perfect day already! But wait, it got better! Played and sang with Lise, pizza for dinner, and then we went to the pool.

This is the more interesting bit.


First off, I had to BIKE to this pool.... and you know by now how I feel about biking. It was a bit chilly, but I wasn't worried about hypothermia, since in order for me to die from it I would have to live long enough to die from it... and clearly the biking was gonna finish me off quicker! Okay, Okay, maybe it wasn't THAT cold and maybe it wasn't THAT dangerous... but I WAS a bit nervous about it, and therefore biked rather slowly which made us get there late. Oops! Apparently it is offensive to show up 7 minutes late. Really? Hmmm... this deepened my belief in "Dutch Minutes" which I've also decided to refer to as "dutching it" or if I'm really in a hurry and trying to make a run for it I could say "I'm gonna make a dutch for it!" Haha. Then again, if it were really "dutching it" I probably wouldn't be running, I would be biking! :D All in good-non-offensive humor. I will say, in defense of the dutch, that it is way more practical to be on time everywhere than to be late everywhere... but 'tis the way of the Spanish. Especially THIS Spanish! ;)


Fun Dutch Fact: (Gosh, why didn't I think of that title sooner?!) Dutch people like to swim. I had no idea. The most interesting thing is to see just HOW they swim. My Spanish pool experience is as follows: There are 2 kinds of swimmers, the ones swimming laps (separated by lanes) and the ones just splashing about in the general area. Well, the dutch don't do that... in fact they pretty much do both at the same time. I kid you not, every single person as that pool was swimming "with a friend" and they are swimming laps and TALKING at the same time. This is much more exhausting, trying to keep up with a conversation AND not drown. Let me tell you... it was something else.


But there's more! Right when I thought that I was getting the routine down, the girls decided to go to the outside pool. Did I mention that we were in an indoor pool? Well, I thought it was implied since it was kinda chilly outside. Well... they went into the pool, and the outside temperature read 10º C! (50ºF for you Americans! :P) I'm gonna tell you right now, I think its the coldest I've ever been in my life. Of course, I had to do it... it's crazy!


I will say that might be one of the most extreme things I've done in a long time... and after that the bike ride home seemed like child's play! ;)


It was a good thing I got all tired out with all that swimming/talking (Switalking? Swalking!!) because I had to go to bed at a decent hour so I would be alive in the morning to visit Lise's awesomely-awesome pop music school... which you will hear about in our NEXT Adventures in the Netherlands!!



No comments:

Post a Comment