Monday, July 5, 2010

Adventures in Germany with Adina Noel, Amber, and Charlie.

Germany7


By late May I had my plate quite full with all the little errands, shoots, and projects to finish before going to the The US in less than 3 weeks. I was getting some work done one Monday morning only to find that my good friend Charlie was online. Quite rare. Charlie is an Air Force pilot based in Oklahoma. He was being deployed to Afghanistan, which I will admit I wasn't too happy about. Charlie and I started talking for a bit and surprised to find that he was in an Air Force Base in Rammstein, Germany, waiting to be deployed. He wanted me and my sister Amber to go visit... the next DAY and for a 36 hour visit! I will spare you the details of the crazy 6 hours that followed all the preparations involved in skipping the country in less than 24 hours.



Amber and I managed to cover all our evenings classes, and went on our way. We got on the flight and finally I felt like the craziness was over and the fun was about to start. So excited! At about that point was when I realized how much Amber doesn't like planes. How did I not know this? Well, she REALLY doesn't like flying, and it's only made worse by flying on a route that is known for having a lot of turbulence. Fantastic. The flight pretty much involved 2 hours and a half of me switching back and forth between my photography read, and answering questions such as "Adina, why are the wings shaking? Why is the plane shaking?! I don't like it!"


Got to Germany, met up with Charlie. Apparently he DID know that Amber doesn't like flying.


IMG_0305


We thought it would be fun to just go to some random German city, and Frankfurt was the closest one, so we got there and walked around for about an hour.


Germany5


IMG_0285

I like to think that in Germany people don't buy cars, they share cars.


IMG_0337

Kinder = Children. So, collect money + Children + "die" = creeped out Adina.


IMG_0287


IMG_0288




Went back to base and I LOVED base. It was like mini-america in there!! I didn't realize how much I missed the US until I got to base. Taco bell, reeses, root beer, mike&ikes. All the little things you take for granted are the ones you miss when they are gone. Spent the night between talks, games of scattergories, and watching Aladdin until we all fell asleep. Welcome to Germany.


IMG_0358


IMG_0347


IMG_0356


IMG_0354

1 comment:

  1. Haha, love this post :) Especially the 'collect money' and 'die' box. Yeah...those Germans...sometimes you need to stay away from them ;-) No, JK! I have the best and funniest German friends! Since I read all of your blog posts and almost never comment on here, I thought I would just leave comment :)

    ReplyDelete