Thursday, February 17, 2011

Adventures in Vegas::: "The Crazy Chicken That Saved My Life"



As I wearily walked, feeling every heartbeat pounding in my chest, and the unbearable thirst building within me with every step I took, I thought to myself "Adina, it would be SO you to randomly die in a city built on a desert." Seriously, it seems that my life is random enough that if it came to a sudden end in Las Vegas, it would just be fitting. But wait, what am I even talking about?

IMG_2498
I felt like I was walking on this road...

Well, here's what happened: I hadn't had access to the internet pretty much all week, so I thought it was about time to get in touch with the real world. My friendly local, Chris, was helpful enough to tell me about a nearby library where I could go to use the internet. He even sent me directions in a text message. Sounds simple enough, right? Except I'm me, and I can't make simple things stay simple. Soooo long story short, I went left instead of right and got lost and walked around the desert city for 40 minutes. Did I mention I was wearing long sleeves and long pants? Yup. I'm not sure what got over me, but I went outside dressed like it was 70ºF weather when it was in fact in 103ºF outside and I was walking next to a black hot road the entire time. This was the first time in my life where I could actually feel the heat rising from the pavement. After about 30 minutes I started feeling really faint and slightly nauseous. It was then that I realized that I had accidentally left my wallet back in my room. Soooo... can't stop anywhere and get a drink. I tried to press on, but I actually kept feeling worse and worse. Eventually I couldn't take it so I walked into a El Pollo Loco just to splash some water on my face and sit in the air conditioned room for a bit. Clearly I wasn't even a customer, so as I walked in and straight to the restroom I felt super guilty about it.



So I am sitting on the floor in the bathroom hoping I'll be alright, when an employee walks in and asks me if I am OK. Nicest lady ever. I kinda broke down and said something like "I've been walking around lost for 40 minutes, I am wearing THIS, and I'm clearly not from here, and I forgot my wallet... and I just needed to cool down for a bit." She asked me where I was from and when I told her Spain I was convinced that she must be thinking I am a bloody idiot. But instead, the lady excuses herself, walks into the kitchen and comes out with an ice cold bottle of water and says "Here sweetie, I don't want you to get sick." I said "Bless you! Seriously!" and walked out. It was the most beautiful act of kindness by a perfect stranger ever, and I needed it so much...I almost cried.

I was out of breath again by the time I got to the library. It was only after I'd been sitting down for 15 minutes, still breathless and feeling my heart pounding in my chest, that I realized that I was actually at the beginning stages of a heat stroke. Fantastic. I just sat there praying and hoping I could ride it out. After a while I felt much better and carried on to surf the web and shoot a couple emails. Oh, and fortunately I didn't have to walk back. I texted Chris and he rolled in to save the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment