Friday, March 18, 2011

"Roman Ruin Lemonade"



I need to be honest: whenever I leave the US I really miss it. This is no secret. Many of my closest friends live there, and I always have so many amazing travel opportunities when I go. I just love it. I also love living in Spain (except for the crazy weather) but I always get anxious whenever the last days of my US visits finally start to roll in. This, again, is no secret. In fact, my friends in Spain start emailing me at about that time to make sure that I am coming back home. These rules predictably applied to my last US visit, in fact... personal reasons just made me even more anxious.

It is fair to say that the first couple of days I was back home I wasn't at the greatest point of my life. I was jetlagged, exhausted, with thousands of photos to edit, and months behind on this lovely blog. I very quickly started pining for my lost summer love: a.k.a. the lazy days at the beach, the ridiculous rapping attempts in Chicago, and the overall fun in Las Vegas. -Sigh-

Fact of life: Whenever I start complaining my mom is quick to say "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". Its one of those things I grew up hearing all the time, along with "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." I will even admit to once buying a pin that read "When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in people's eyes" but hilarious as I still find that line, I am proud to say that attitude is now gone. These days I really try to see the positive side of things as often as I can, and this was definitely one of those times where I had to make the extra effort. So here it goes: I was sitting in Spain, missing the US like crazy, when I had the opportunity to do something you can't do in the US by going on an outing with my church to see some roman ruins. So I took it.

IMG_3354

Ruins1

IMG_3361

IMG_3463

IMG_3429


Ruins2

IMG_3462

IMG_3504

IMG_3339

IMG_3401

The day was cold and rainy, and the ruins weren't exactly the Colosseum I was expecting, but we went out, we got wet, we spent 7 hours in a car together, and we had a great time. Did you see that mom? I made lemonade. :)


3 comments:

  1. "When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in people's eyes" but hilarious as I still find that line.... I was reading this in a coffee shop and literally laughed out loud. There are days I feel the same way. In my professional career I have quickly found myself taking the place of the optimist. Life is just too short to have an Eeyore attitude all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. I used to be an Eeyore myself but have found that I am so much happier as an optimist. If something doesn't work out, then I try to take it gracefully and learn from the experience as much as I can. I just wish that some Eeyores around me would take in the same attitude. The world would be a better place. ;)

    ReplyDelete