Monday, October 3, 2011

The Off-Camera-Flash Monster::: Personal Challenge



IMG_5324

My latest challenge as a photographer is to learn to control light better. Now that I've had plenty of experience with natural light I think I am ready to take the plunge and stare at the off-camera-flash monster right in the eye. I love how creativity can just bloom by simply having different lighting set ups. That being said, the whole concept is, to be honest, quite overwhelming. There's so many new concepts and gadgets to master. It's quite humbling. But after having my attitude set in place by my awesome photographer friend Tim King (seriously, if you're in the San Diego area check him out!) I decided to get my rear into gear and start out. After all I am always the one to say "if you don't do it now, then when?" to all my friends.

I went on amazon and bought three books on different aspects of lighting, dug out my camera and flash manuals and my copy of Bob Davis' "Lights, Camera, Capture!" that I got on the Showit Tour giveaway, and am on my way! I have decided that will be my big challenge for the year, and am hoping to take a couple big steps in that area this fall.

I am now thinking of it as an "Only one can survive" scenario, and I will not be beat by a little bright light. So, hopefully I will be able to look back at this post some time from now and smile at my accomplishment.
Encouragement (and accountability) might be needed along the way, so comments are always appreciated.


For now I am finding inspiration with the amazing use of light in this Yves Saint Lauren add. By the way, If you're interested in taking this challenge with me, lets get in touch!


No comments:

Post a Comment