Monday, October 28, 2013

Travel:::Berlin!! Day 3, Olympiastadion!!



IMG_0651
It's a fact: I love sports and working out. Everybody knows this. There is something about breaking a sweat and pushing myself to the limit that I  can't get enough of.And what I really really can't get enough of are the summer Olympics. I can think back to so may times when during the olympic games I have been motivated to eat healthier, set more ambitious goals, and get much more out of my workout. During my third day in Berlin, and having checked most of the items on my Berlin bucket list, I found out by chance that I was a quick train ride away from the Olympic stadium! How did I not know this?!

IMG_0604

The history of it is beautiful too. The 1936 summer Olympics were held in this stadium, and were actually inaugurated by the head-of-state, a man by the name of Adolf Hitler. At the time of the games Hitler was really excited about the world being able to witness the height of arian supremacy. 
Long story short, Jesse Owens, an african-american athlete, won 4 gold medals and successfully proved all them racist whiteys wrong! So there!! 

IMG_0608

The 2006 World Cup final was also held at the Olympiastadion. As you may remember, that was also the game where soccer legend Zinedine Zidane played his very last game, and tainted his reputation by giving the infamous head-butt to Italian player Marco Materazzi. Again, making sports history... even if it wasn't for the most noble reasons.




But of course, the biggest thing about visiting the Olympiastadion is the wide array of feelings you get while walking around knowing everything that has happened within it's walls, on it's grass, and under it's sky. And maybe even more so if you stop to think about everything that is to come.

IMG_0509

IMG_0510

IMG_0531

IMG_0483

IMG_0560

IMG_0477



3 comments:

  1. These pictures are just amazing. The places you took pictures of I see almost everyday but never like you pictured them. If ever you come back to Berlin make sure to contact me: www.steubentoursberlin.com. I will tell you the stories behind the places and in exchange I may use some of your pictures... many greetings! Bernhard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Bernhard. I would love to visit Berlin again sometime! :)

      Delete